You are looking for an online casino in Sweden at the right time – going through the turbulence of rebuilding and even experiencing some decline in the national gambling participation rate, Swedish online gambling market is about to re-shape into a more transparent, fair, and generous universe of games of chance now allowable to international gambling operators. On the one hand, the Swedish Gambling Authority is tightening the belts of illegal gambling businesses by insisting on the need for increased fines; on the other hand – international operators are finally allowed to get a Swedish license and legally win the competition for the local customer. Indeed we live in an exciting time! However, do not rush to pick your Swedish online venue until you finish this article unless you are well aware of what we are going to unveil:
- Online gambling laws, regulations, and intricacies in Sweden.
- Banking options for Swedish online players.
- Best licensed online casino Swedish sites recommended to newcomers and seasoned punters.
Best Online Casinos for Players From Sweden 2022
|250% + 55 FS||Read Review||Raging Bull||30+|
Planet 7 Casino
|400% / 20 FS||Read Review||Planet 7 Casino||150+|
|$6000||Read Review||Super Slots||198+|
Slots of Vegas
|250% / $2500||Read Review||Slots of Vegas||250+|
|100% up to $300 + 150 FS||Read Review||Playamo||4000+|
|$100 + 10 FS||Read Review||Leo Vegas||1180+|
|400% up to $4000||Read Review||Uptown Aces||255+|
|2 Sweeps Coins||Read Review||Chumba||64+|
How Online Gambling is Regulated in Sweden?
While playing at the best online casino in Sweden without any problems you might not imagine the long history standing behind the freedom to gamble. Actually, it took about 100 years for Swedish authorities to relent on its one-way vision of monopoly gambling – finally, on 1 January 2019, a new Swedish Gambling Act entered into force to shift the eternal monopoly paradigm to a more open market. While the results of this big change aren’t too obvious yet, we are all set to analyze the prerequisites that led to the change of heart in the Swedish government. So let’s take a dive into the history of gambling in Sweden.
A Brief History of Gambling in Sweden
It all started in the early ’30s of the last century when the first full-fledged gambling company, Tipstjanst, opened its doors to visitors. It offered lotto, sports, and pool gambling and positioned itself as a private bookmaker, but in 1943 it was entirely bought by the state to fight illegal gambling. After becoming fully nationalized, Tipstjanst had successfully operated (while accruing all profits to the government) until 1997 when it united with a state lottery and changed its title to the well-known Svenska Spel – the national operator that triumphantly held the state monopoly on gambling until very recent times.
The ’90s were good for Swedish gambling (horse racing, lotteries, and simple electronic slot machines appeared), though everything developed under the tight state monopoly. The ’90s gave birth to the two core documents regulating online Swedish gambling – the Swedish Lotteries Act and the Casino Act, which complemented and amended the first. The Casino Act of 1999 opened Swedish casinos to foreign customers and arguably became the first prerequisite to the liberalization of the national online gambling market. However, the state-run Swedish casinos continued to flourish: from 2001 to 2003 four Swedish-owned brick-and-mortar casinos were established to fill the state budget.
As for online casinos in Sweden, they had not been able to operate legally until 2003 when Svenska Spel was entitled to run digital platforms and both locals and foreign gamblers were permitted to play scratch games and bingo (since 2005 – poker). While hardly one could imagine the monopoly to be broken at that time, on 4 April 2006 the European Commission sent a request on the compatibility of the Swedish gambling laws with Article 49 of the EC Treaty. But the direct accusations were sent only 2 years later and became an unexpected blow at the state tight grip on gambling. Ten years passed until in 2018 the Swedish government put forward a proposal to re-regulate the local gambling market by introducing a licensing system and allowing foreign operators to provide gambling services within the territory of the country. The plan implied to divide market into 3 sectors – competitive (online gambling and betting), non-profit (lotteries and bingo), and governmental (state-owned casinos and gambling) – each one subject to different provisions, entered into force on 1 January 2019 to open a new era for Swedish online casinos and gamesters, who were no longer forced to choose inferior domestic operators.
But the question is, whether the changes are for good? In about 2 months’ time after the new legislation came into force Svenska Spel claimed the Swedish market to be ‘not big enough for 70 of us,’ thereby predicting the crash of the majority of 70 new companies and survival of no more than 5 to 10 of them. Indeed the now-transforming 85-year-old Svenska Spel is worried about its competitiveness as well as the quality of services and the decency of new gambling businesses that flooded the market so fast. According to the Swedish Gambling Authority (Spelinspektionen) – in 2019, only one sanctioned operator out of 21 paid the sum owed, whereas the rest filed appeals (some of them, by the way, did succeed). The struggle between the Swedish Gaming Authority to adjust the operators to the new regulations may or may not end up good, but there’s no way to avoid turbulence when the old gives way to the new.
An Overview of Gambling Laws in Sweden
The government-owned Svenska Spel had long been the only gambling business to legally provide online gambling services in the country, but, as said above, dozens of private firms flooded the market once it opened. To regulate all the commotion in a proper way, the Swedish Gambling Act entered into force on 1 January 2019. Here are the main provisions applied to the best Swedish online casino (the Gambling Act is accompanied by more than two dozen minor rules, acts, and regulations):
- Any gambling operator is obliged to obtain one of 6 types of licenses (only B2C operators are eligible): 1) license for state monopoly; 2) license for charities and good causes; 3) license for land-based commercial gambling; 4) license for gambling on ships in international traffic; 5) license for commercial online gambling; 6) license for betting. Skill and social games do not require a license, though all winnings are taxed according to the Swedish legislation.
- Licenses are issued for up to 5 years (the desired term of validity should be specified by the applicant).
- Licenses are to be revoked if violations that a Sweden casino online cannot rectify within a predefined deadline take place.
- The tax on gambling is 18% in the gross revenue; the taxation period is one month. The fees are not applied to non-profit gambling activities.
- The license fee depends on the type of license and varies between SEK 3600 and SEK 700 000. The free for commercial online gambling is SEK 400 000.
- All gambling operators are also subject to the annual supervisory fee that depends on the Annual GGR (EUR 2910 – EUR 48 500). However, the first-year fee is fixed – EUR 43 650 per license.
- The minimum age is 18+ for gambling online and 21+ for playing in brick-and-mortar casinos.
Last but not least, all the best online casinos in Sweden are now limited to welcome bonuses only. No other perks allowed. Definitely not the best news, but quite aligned with the increased number of gambling-addicted in Sweden, especially women – about two of three gambling addicts are women, which is as surprising as frightening – and a large number of third-party operators that continue to serve local customers against the Swedish laws. The Swedish government does have a certain strategy on combating unlicensed third-party online casinos, and the limitation on bonuses is expected to work in synergy with the latter. All in all, the liberalization requires time, which from the gambler’s perspective means the necessity to be picky and careful when selecting a Swedish casino online to play.
Banking Options for Swedish Players
With the high Internet and smartphone penetration rates, Sweden employs all forms of online payments, including standard credit and debit cards topping the rankings and more advanced gateways like mobile payments and e-wallets, including some exclusive solutions like BankID, Zimpler, and Trustly along with its famous Pay N Play. Whereas credit and debit cards require no explanation, the exclusive payment channels are definitely worth elaborating. Make sure to learn more about them before making your first deposit with Zimpler, Trustly, or BankID.
- BankID. Known as a unique identification solution for Swedes, BankID is used in dozens of reputable online casinos. The system was launched long ago in 2003 to facilitate and speed up online payments. After registering with the BankID system, you are getting the unique ID number that you never share with anyone except for the issuing bank. As a result, you get privacy and protection against fraud. Depositing with BankID is simple: Once you are assigned a BankID with your bank, you should download the respective BankID software on the online casino website and then pass to the Cashier page to complete the transaction in a few clicks or by using face/touch id if you’re depositing from mobile.
- Zimpler (PugglePay). Zimpler is a mobile payment application that allows Swedes and Finns to deposit to an online casino via a mobile phone using a third-party payment method (typically VISA or MasterCard) tied to it. Note that the deposit amount won’t be added up to your monthly phone bill as Zimpler uses your phone only to verify the transaction via SMS code. No hidden fees, simple registration process and the ability to pay and make deposits on the go are undeniable advantages of Zimpler. Since no payment can be made without your approval, no one can steal your funds unless he or she has physical access to your phone. As for the banking details, they are kept private in an encrypted form in the system’s database.
- Paysafecard. Paysafecard is a world-renowned prepaid card that was launched 20 years ago and has successfully made its way to becoming one of the most used anonymous payment methods in online casinos. Available in retail stores all over the globe, Paysafecard provides the highest level of privacy as nothing except for a special scratch code is required to complete the payment. The only disadvantage is that it can’t be used to withdraw winnings.
- Trustly & Pay N Play. Trustly is a specific e-wallet that acts more as a payment processor than storage. The biggest advantage of Trustly and its Pay N Pay solution is the ability to complete online casino deposits using bank credentials without registration at the venue. No burdensome registration forms, no manual account settings, no fees – just instant deposits & withdrawals along with automatic KYC verification. To deposit with Trustly on mobile, you need no more than the personal bank account number and password – the rest is done by the service.
Swedish payment methods are not limited to the options above, but these are the most advanced and reliable ways to refill your online casino balance. And since it all starts from selecting your online venue, we recommend you to look into our complete list of Zimpler online casinos, as well as the ones accepting Paysafecard, VISA, MasterCard, BankID, online casinos accepting Trustly, cryptocurrencies, and other payment methods.
Top 5 Swedish Online Casinos
- Rizk Casino
- Leo Vegas
Tastes differ, but some Swedish online casinos just win the competition. Whether you agree or disagree with our choice, we would like to turn your attention to the top-5 online Swedish casinos that we believe are the best for newcomers and seasoned punters. Our experts have been testing each of these venues for a while and were pretty satisfied with the results.
✅ Rizk Casino
Swedish casinos licensed in the United Kingdom can’t be bad by definition, and Risk Casino is no exception. Once you open the website, you will notice a tempting match bonus granting €100 plus 50 free spins on top of a €100 deposit. And long as you research the Swedish online casino, will you keep stumbling upon other luscious offers, the most exciting of which is the Wheel of Rizk that you can spin once you reach a certain level in the casino. As you progress, two advanced versions of the Wheel of Risk becomes available – Super Wheel of Risk for every 10th level and Extra Wheel each time you level up. The main Wheel prize is the Big Ass Jackpot, but we bet free/super/mega spins and double speed chip would satisfy you as well. Go ahead, register at one of the best online Swedish casinos and grab your match bonus!
“More online casino games than moons in the solar system” – the online Swedish casino really lives up to what it claims to be! With more than 2000 online games – slot machines, jackpots, table games, live casino games – and mobile compatibility, Casumo allows you to earn points for every spin you make, every bet you place, and every blackjack hand you make. And once the progress bar is filled to the limit, you are eligible for luscious rewards – free spins, bonus money, and extra money on your next deposit. Casumo treats newcomers with a 100% match bonus up to €300 with only 30x wagering! Licensed in the UK, Denmark, Malta, and Sweden, Casumo accepts EUR, GBP, CAD, and SEK and keeps its doors open to Swedish and European punters. Finally, it’s always in the top-50 casinos by professional and amateur rankings.
✅ Leo Vegas
A top-rated Swedish gambling and sports betting platform Leo Vegas offers a huge €400 welcome bonus along with VIP membership and several promotions for sports betting enthusiasts. Available on mobile, this Swedish casino allows you to control your bets and sends signals when the odds are on your side. The low €10 minimum deposit and a whopping cashout limit of up to €300 000 for VIP members make this mobile casino in Sweden equally good for newbies and professional punters. The casino encompasses all imaginable online entertainments, from classic slots to live casino games and newest gambling developments. All in all, this multi-currency and multi-language Swedish online venue is one of the best in the global gaming market.
Whether you are looking for slot machines, table games, live games, or craving for astonishing Jackpots, Casimba has it all! You are free to take advantage of a three-level welcome match bonus – up to €5000 bonus + 50 free spins and 500 free loyalty points on your 1st deposit, up to €1000 bonus + 50 free spins on your 2nd deposit, and up to €500 bonus + 25 free spins on your 3rd deposit. New players are highly welcomed in this Swedish online casino, but even more welcomed are loyal punters, who have all the chance to reach 1 000 loyalty points to win a Dream Holiday Safari in South Africa in a monthly raffle!
A massive selection of various casino games is what Dunder is about. Among 600 mesmerizing games, you are destined to find the one to gild you. There’s no promotions tab, but the Swedish online gaming venue does offer you 20 free spins as a no-deposit bonus and a 100% match bonus up to €100 + 100 free spins. After completing the 30x wagering, you will be able to cash out the bonus money or use it to win more. This online casino may not be the best in terms of design and UI, but it excels in reliability, game choice, and a whopping €50 000 cashout limit per transaction. Quite modest yet safe and fair, Casumo is recommended for Swedish players willing to deposit in EUR and GBP.
Sweden Casinos FAQ
📌 What Are the Best Swedish Licensed Casinos Available Out There?
- Although you can find dozens of ratings on the web, it’s not possible to say which online Swedish gaming venue is the best since it depends on your preferences and experience. However, our experts have reviewed dozens of Swedish online casinos to highlight the best of them on our website. We would recommend Dunder, Casimba, Leo Vegas, Casumo, and Rizk Casino.
📌 What Are the Safest Banking Methods to Use?
- Swedish online casinos accept all imaginable payment methods, but the safest ones are either anonymous (private) depositing gateways that allow you to deposit and withdraw privately or time-tested, reliable gateways for legal players. In addition to traditional credit and debit cards, we would recommend you Trustly with its Pay N Play mobile payment channel, Zimpler, BankID, and Paysafecard. Anyway, keep in mind that safety starts with picking a reliable online gaming casino.
📌 Are Swedish kronas (SEK) a Common Thing in Online Casinos Targeting Swedes?
- Fortunately, the lion’s share of Swedish online casinos accepts SEK. If you need specific examples, here you go: Casimba, Leo Vegas, Casumo, Rizk Casino, etc. And if those online hubs aren’t enough, you are welcome to look into the exhaustive list of casinos with Swedish kronas. Note that SEK to SEK deposits is quite most cost-effective while converting currencies always charge extra fees.
📌 What is the Legal Gambling Age in Sweden?
- According to the Swedish Gambling Act entered into force on 1 January 2019, the minimum gambling age is 18+ for online gambling and 21+ for playing in brick-and-mortar casinos. But the government really means it since the recent rebuilding of the online gambling field draws a lot of attention from the Swedish authorities. Any violators are to be punished in accordance with the law.
📌 What Institution is Responsible for Resolving Disputes between Players and Operators?
- Swedish online gambling is overseen by the Swedish Gambling Authority, which has been given the task of ensuring legality, reliability, and safety of gambling in the country. The Swedish Gambling Authority maintains a transparent online gaming market, reduces potential social risks, and solves disputes between players and operators. That said, you can minimize if not nullify the risks of fraud by picking reliable Swedish online casinos