Not a single online casino in Australia is allowed to provide gambling activities to Australian players. However, the online gambling market in Australia still remains one of the biggest on the Internet. Despite all the laws that prohibit the spread and advertising of gambling to Australians, you can find dozens, if not hundreds, of Australian casino sites online. If the laws of your country allow you to play in those casinos, you will have to choose the best of them and stick to it.
Here, we’ll show you how to find the top and legal betting websites, how not to get into the hands of scammers, and how to get started in the best rated online casino in Australia. We’ll also tell you about the history of gambling in Australia and the laws which regulate online gambling nowadays. On top of that, you’ll have an opportunity to read our reviews on the best Australian online casinos. So, let’s start!
Best Australia Online Casino Sites
|€/$2500 + 250 FS||Read Review||King Billy||5000+|
|C$7500 + 550 FS||Read Review||Rickycasino||3841+|
|C$1200 + 150 FS||Read Review||Hell Spin||5106+|
|500% + 150 FS||Read Review||DuckyLuck||283+|
|250% + 55 FS||Read Review||Raging Bull||30+|
|100% up to $300 + 150 FS||Read Review||Playamo||4000+|
|400% up to $4000||Read Review||Uptown Aces||255+|
|2 Sweeps Coins||Read Review||Chumba||64+|
Cherry Gold Casino Online
|250% up to $2500||Read Review||Cherry Gold Casino Online||180+|
Detailed Guide to Finding Australia Best Online Casino
If you are about to start gambling for real money online, you may notice how many online casinos there are on the web. They all are different, and you have to choose one of them. That’s why in order to find the best casino in Australia, you should pay attention to the following things:
- Licensing. A license is one of the very first things Australia online casinos should get before becoming available on the web. Online casinos in Australia may be licensed by the world-famous authorities like the Malta Gaming Commission and Curacao iGaming and by the local authorities like the New South Wales Office of Liquor, Australian Capital Territory’s Gambling and Racing Commission, and others.
- Security. Besides holding a reputable license, the best Australian online casinos are also being regularly tested by the reputable auditors like eCOGRA and iTechLabs. If an Australia casino online has a certificate issued by one of those companies, you may not worry about the fairness of this casino. Plus, all Australia online casinos are using SSL encryption technology which keeps all your personal data safe.
- Banking Options. Nowadays, there are hundreds of different ways players can make deposits and withdrawals in Australia online gambling sites. These include Visa, MasterCard, various eWallets like Skill and Neteller, prepaid cards, and even Bitcoin wallets. The best online gambling sites in Australia should give players the freedom to use any of these methods for depositing and withdrawing their money.
- Currencies. Besides a wide choice of banking options, the best online betting sites in Australia offer multiple currencies. It allows you not to convert your money into AUD in case you store it in different currencies. For example, most online Australia casinos accept AUD, USD, EUR, and some other currencies.
- Deposit Limits. Before making a deposit to one of the Australian gambling sites, don’t forget to check the deposit limitations. Most Australian casinos online do not have strict limits, but still, you won’t be able to deposit less than $5 in most cases. Please visit a corresponding page about top online casino with $5 minimum deposit sites to find the operators with the lowest deposits available today.
- Customer Service. When something goes wrong while you are playing in an online casino for Australian players, you will want to get in touch with the customer support service. So, it’s pretty important to check what support options are available and whether it is available 24/7.
- Website Design. The casino’s look is the first thing players pay attention to when they are looking for a decent online casino in Australia. The website should be not only bright, spectacular, and modern-looking, but it should also be convenient so that each player could find all the necessary options without any difficulties. Moreover, the top Australia online casinos also have different language options to choose from.
- Games. The game library is the “heart” of each casino online Australia. It should contain many different and popular games so that each player could find a little something to enjoy. In the top Australian casinos, you can come across such well-known game titles as Thunderstruck II by Microgaming, Cool Wolf by Microgaming, Dolphin Treasure from Aristocrat, Starburst from NetEnt, and many others.
- Software Developers. The quality of the casino games depends on the reputation and popularity of their software developers. That’s why don’t forget to check which developers and providers have contributed to your casino Australia online. If you see such names as Microgaming, NetEnt, Betsoft, ISoftBet, and Evolution Gaming, you are on the right way.
- Bonuses. There are a lot of different types of casino bonuses, starting from free casino money no deposit bonuses to VIP online casino bonuses. Each Australian casino online welcomes new players with huge Welcome Bonus packages. However, you should thoroughly check the bonus terms and wagering requirements before claiming the bonus.
- Withdrawal Time. Sadly, there are quite a lot of instances of the casinos not paying out the winnings in time. So, make sure the Australian players casino you are gambling is fast and responsible when it comes to the withdrawals. Check out the list of the best online casinos that payout instantly.
- Jackpots. At the beginning of 2019, Brodie M., an ordinary online casino player from Australia hit the jackpot worth over $42 million in one of the best progressive jackpots game from Microgaming – Cash Splash. What’s more interesting, he had been gambling for about 10 hours only. If you also want to hunt for a life-changing jackpot, check whether you are playing in one of the top 10 Australia online casinos that offers jackpot games.
Also, it will be useful to check whether the casino has a functional casino mobile online version. If you are looking for good live dealer online casinos, check if they have a decent choice of live games. We can keep adding some other items to the checklist, but it will several pages. Don’t worry. You may skip all these steps and start reading our Australia online casino reviews which will help you to save your time and to make the right choice.
The Tradition of Gambling in the Australia
Gambling is a part of Australian history. However, it led to a high rate of gambling addiction, which couldn’t be ignored by the government. Is it correct or not to adopt such anti-gambling laws as IGA? Let’s find this out.
History of Australian Gambling
The history of Australian gambling dates back to the beginning of the 19th century when the first horse racing event was held in Sydney. It was the very first official gambling event. In 1880, the first lottery game was introduced to Aussies. Since that time, lotteries have been extremely popular in all the land-based and online casinos in Australia. In the middle of the 20th century, the first slot machines, or as they call them pokies, started popping up in the Australian pubs. As for the first land-based casino, it opened in 1973 in Tasmania. It was Wrest Point Hotel Casino, and it became extremely popular among all Australians.
Australian Gambling Activity Today
After the amendments to the IGA entered into force in 2017, the proportion of Australian adults who gamble decreased from 80% to 39%. What is more interesting, over 75% of gamblers play lotteries, and over 50% of lottery fans are aged 50 and over.
According to the official statistics, Australians spend over A$8.5 million on gambling each month, with lotteries accounting for almost 40% of this amount. Also, as it turned out, over one-third of all Australian gamblers are involved in multiple gambling activities.
Popular Games in Australia
As we have already mentioned, lotteries still remain the most popular gambling form in Australia, with over 75% of gamblers playing them. The lotteries are followed by scratch cards, EGMs, Bingo, Blackjack, and Roulette.
Now, let’s talk about the games that are popular in the online casinos that accept Australian players. As you may guess, pokies make up the major part of all games offered in the top online Australian casinos. You can find thousands of different pokies in the best online Australian casinos. The second place goes to video poker. These games combine slots and regular poker, which makes them so interesting. The best Australian online casino sites usually offer various video poker variants, including Tens or Better, Deuces Wild, and others. Another popular game in the online gambling sites Australia is Bingo. It’s a lottery-like game, so no wonder it occupies the third place. Other popular games offered in most Australian online casino sites include Craps, Blackjack, Roulette, and Baccarat.
Secure Games & Secure Winnings In Online Casino Australia
Playing in an Australia online casino for real money is definitely fun, but there’s always safety-related questions raising in mind of each player. When you are gambling for real in the online casino in Australia, you want to be sure that your money is safe.
There are different ways casinos Australia online can protect themselves and their players. They can use advanced data-protection technologies and security measures. SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) is one of those. It’s an encryption technology which encodes all the information you send to the Australian online gambling sites so that no one can read it. All the best Australian casinos online are using either 128-bit or 256-bit SSL. Among the most popular and effective ways of protecting online casinos for Australian players is using HTTPS. This protocol adds hypertext that can’t be hacked. In other words, it’s an extra layer of protection for all online casinos Australia.
Another good way to check whether the Australian online gambling site is secure and can be trusted is to check its license. The best online casinos for Australia are licensed by the greatest regulatory bodies like the Malta Gaming Authority or Alderney Gambling Control Commission. If the license is valid, it means that the online gambling Australia casino has proven to be fair and deserves to be among the top rated Australian online casino sites.
Besides using the SSL encryption, the best online gambling Australia sites are also cooperating with the world-famous payment providers. These include Visa/MasterCard, UPayCard, Neosurf, Paysafecard, Skrill, Neteller, and some others. If you use one of these methods for making deposits and withdrawals, you may not worry about the safety of your money.
The last but not least, if the best online casino in Australia is truly fair and has nothing to hide from its players, it should be ready to be tested by the independent auditors like eCOGRA. Each of the top 10 online casinos Australia has an eCOGRA seal of approval, which tells us a lot about their safety.
The Truth Of Australia Online Gambling Laws
According to BBC, around 80% of Australian adults gamble ether in the land-based or Australian online casinos. Why not? However, it resulted in a high rate of gambling addiction. In order to minimize the impact of gambling on Australians and to maximize the states’ revenue, the Australian government was thoroughly looking for ways of regulating the industry. The first try was made in June 1997, when the so-called Draft National Regulatory Model for Interactive Home Gambling was introduced. As it turned out, the terms of DRM could be hardly implemented since gambling traffic couldn’t be strictly controlled.
In 2001, the Interactive Gambling Act was adopted. It was the first and the greatest revision of the DRM. According to the Act, Australia casino sites were prohibited to provide or advertise interactive gambling activities to those players who are physically located in Australia. It was a major breakthrough in the field of internet casino Australia regulations. However, the Act couldn’t prevent Aussies from gambling in the foreign online casinos that were not licensed in Australia. In addition, the Australian casinos online could legally offer their services to gamblers located outside Australia. The IGA didn’t include any taxations on the revenue of the Australia online casinos, so it didn’t have a huge impact on gambling online Australia.
Only a decade later, the Australian government realized that the IGA was not only ineffective but even harmful to Aussies since it was pushing them to gamble in the illegal Australian casino online sites. That’s why in 2016, the Interactive Gambling Amendment Bill was introduced. The major change was the prohibition of all Aussie online casino sites, even those which are licensed by reputable and trusted regulatory bodies. The exceptions are the gambling activities which are permitted under the IGA and the providers which have all the necessary licenses to provide these activities. Again, the Interactive Gambling Amendment Bill targeted online Australian casino sites but not players. It means that Aussies are still not punished for playing in any Australia casino online or any foreign online casino.
The other major changes include the implementation of penalties and moving poker from the “grey” area to “black”. The new penalty is aimed at the online casino betting Australia sites which offer illegal gambling activities to Australians, and it is equal to A$7.875 million for each day of breaking the laws. As for the poker, it became completely prohibited in each casino online Australia.
Of course, persistent punters are still trying to come up with new methods of avoiding new rules in order to play in the best online Australian casino. However, we recommend you not to break the laws and play responsibly.
Online Casinos In Australia FAQ
Is it safe to play pokies online?
- All the best Australian online casinos are well-protected, secured with the latest data-protection technologies, and hold reputable licenses. If you are playing in one of the top Australian online casinos, you may not worry about the safety of your personal or financial data, as it is protected with SSL encryption.
Can Australia online casino be trusted?
- Of course, not all online Australian casinos can be trusted. There are always be some scammers that will try to rip you off. In order not to get into the hands of one of these, pick any website from our Australia online casinos list and have a great time. Besides, you can easily find feedback from other players on each casino online in Australia.
If I play online casino games online, would I be prosecuted?
- According to the Interactive Gambling Act of 2001, providing gambling activities to people who are physically located in Australia is completely prohibited. However, this law is applied to the casino operators and software providers only, meaning that you won’t be prosecuted for playing in Australian casino sites even if you are located in Australia. And if you are not in Australia, feel free to use any services provided by the best casino online Australia.
Do I have to play with AUD only or I can Use other currencies?
- Without any doubts, all gambling sites Australia accept AUD. If you find it more convenient to make payments in another currency, you will have to make sure your casino Australia online accepts other currencies. As a rule, the best Australian casinos have a list of the available currencies somewhere on the banking page or cashier.
I’m not an Aussie so why slots are pokies?
- As simple as it is, pokies are slot machines. In the past, the term “pokies” was used for “poker machines”. Over time, it turned into a slang word. You will hardly hear this term outside Australia, as it used by Aussies only. However, if you are not from Australia, and you have entered one of the best Australia casinos online, remember that pokies are your regular slot games.