Free Online Video Poker Games to Play for Fun
The world of online gambling is more prosperous than ever, and the choice of games you can play is outstanding. If you love poker and online slot games, you may consider trying the game that has a bit of both worlds, video poker. At least one of the video poker versions is available in every reputable online casino, so finding the game should not be a problem.
If you have never played the game, you will be happy to know it is very fast paced, super easy to learn, and thrilling. You won’t spend too much time learning the rules because everything is simple. One of the best things about it is the fun it brings. In addition, it is one of the games with the best odds on online gambling sites, so that’s an extra reason to try it out if you haven’t already.
There are many variations of the game and some strategies that you can opt for. You can find out all there is to learn about video poker here, and CasinoHex experts will guide you through it all. Then, when you absorb the basics, you can try playing it for free and then move on to gamble for real money for ultimate excitement.
How to play video poker online?
Video poker is the perfect option for those looking for an extra thrilling game with fantastic odds. The aim of the game is the same as the goal in traditional poker.
What you want to do here is build the best hand possible. You will be paid out by managing to do that, and the amount you will receive will depend on the hand’s strength. The better the hand, the higher the payout.
When the round starts, you need to place the wager. You will have to buy some poker credits with your casino bankroll, credits are sort of like chips in traditional poker. First, you will select how many credits you are about to spend per hand. It can be as low as one credit, but if you like, you can go for the max bet as well. The maximum bet is often an equivalent of anywhere between one and five dollars. After the bet is placed, the cards are about to be dealt.
Once the cards are dealt, the goal is to build a firm hand. In most variations of video poker, the five-card draw is taken as the model. You will get five cards, and you need to decide whether you want to draw the cards (change cards for a small price) or hold (keeping the cards you’ve got).
When you’re done, the game will automatically pay you, and the amount you will get will depend on the strength of your hand. In some cases, when your hand contains a high card or low pair, there might not be any payout. If you have never played online poker sites before, and you don’t know much about the hands, here is the explanation:
High card – the highest-ranking card you have with no other matching cards or order
A pair – one pair of matching cards. For example, two Kings, or two Queens.
Two pairs – two sets of corresponding cards
Three of a kind – three matching cards, for instance, three eights, or three Jacks
Straight – the cards from different suits that show up in numerical order, like 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9.
Flush – Cards in the same suit, not showing up in numerical order
Full house – the combination of one pair and three of a kind
Four of a kind – the same card in four different suits
Straight flush – five cards in the same suit showing up in a numerical order
Royal Flush – highest cards all in the same suit – ten, Jack, Queen, King, and Ace.
Video poker strategies
If you want to get the most out of your video poker experience, you should gather information on strategies that may help you win more. In addition, the CasinoHex team will share some tips, and you may include them in your gameplay to increase your chances of winning. Strategies are cool, but remember that you don’t have to use them if you feel like they’re not working for you. After all, playing video poker online should be all about fun and thrill.
Go for a demo version first.
If you are a beginner, you should not jump into real money gambling right away. You may end up losing a lot this way. Instead, be smart and play video poker online for free first. You can learn how to play the game, figure out every hand and difference between them, and you may develop your strategy along the way. Gambling for real money is fantastic, especially when playing video poker online because you can win incredible amounts, there are more games, and of course, more excitement. However, risking your money without any knowledge and experience is not the right way to go. Play the free version first!
Choose the game with the best payouts.
In video poker, it is all about the payouts. Now, online casinos are offering many versions of the game. What you need to keep in mind is that not all the versions have the same payouts. So you need to be patient and find the game that features the best payouts. It may require a bit of effort from your side, but it will be worth it in the end.
Go for a top-rated casino and make use of bonuses.
When gambling online, always select a casino with an excellent reputation that focuses on the safety of its players. In addition, the best sites offer fantastic bonuses, and most of the time, you can use the prize for video poker. That’s the perfect way to gamble for real money without actually spending any of your own. Instead, you can learn all about the game and experience it on every level.
Managing your bankroll properly.
Another thing is bankroll management. The CasinoHex team always recommends that players have their management strategy. You need to know how much you can lose and when it is time to stop. Once you settle with the approach, you must stick to it to actually be successful.
Go big if you can afford it.
The strategy that can work pretty well is the one where you bet big. However, this is the approach to go for only if you can afford it. When making the maximum coin wagers, the payouts on winning hands are much higher. Again, this is the strategy to try only if you can afford it, and don’t do it until you gain some experience.
Don’t throw pairs, do that with unpaired cards.
If you get pairs, keep them. They give you some head start worth having. If you have unpaired cards that are not in the same suit nor do they appear in numerical order, eliminate them from your combination. The chances to get the same cards and hit a pair or three of a kind will hardly happen, so make sure to get rid of them.
Video poker odds
Video poker is one of the games you can play online for real money and genuinely enjoy. That’s not only because the game is fun and fast, but because it has the best odds. Many players want to see a low house edge, which is exactly what this game offers.
In most cases, the house edge – which represents the casino’s advantage over players – is between 5 % and 20 %. It depends on the game. The house edge is around 5% in video poker, but it can be much lower than that. It implies the player doesn’t lose as much. It varies from one version to another.
Video poker types
Video poker is viral, and many types of it are evidence to that. Every version has some special rule that makes it different yet still fun. The goal is to try several game types and then figure out which one you like the most. The games below are just some of the many available variants of the game. Also, online casinos offer a lot of different video poker types, so make sure to check it all out before you start playing video poker. In other words, check the rules and the payouts. We are going to list some of the top-rated ones.
Jacks or Better
Without a doubt, this is one of the most popular video poker games. It uses a single deck of 52 cards, and it is based on the regular 5-card draw game. The players win if they succeed in building a hand with a pair of jacks or better – that’s the lowest hand and the best one is Royal Flush.
Tens or Better
Tens or Better is a form of video poker similar to the one above. Here, unlike in the previous variant, the lowest hand that gets a payout is a pair of tens. As a result, the odds are slightly higher. As usual, fun is guaranteed.
Here is another form of the game that is super popular in online casinos. It is effortless, and it provides the highest payouts. In this version, 2s have the power of wild cards – that means you can use the two cards as a substitute for any other card you might need. That way, you will succeed in building a solid hand and win.
Who doesn’t love bonuses? This version of poker can bring you an extra prize. The game has the same format as Jacks or Better, but you can expect a reward if you hit four of a kind. How big it is going to depend on the cards that make the winning hand.
Double Bonus Poker
Same as the Bonus Poker, this one is also based on the Jacks or better format. However, you can expect more bonuses here when you have certain hands. It is a game with pretty high odds, so you should give it a chance.
In this game, a 53-card deck is used. The deck features all the standard cards that are usually in it, plus one joker. If you land a joker, you can use it as a substitute for any other card. Thus, you can build a substantial hand and win the round.
Video Poker glossary
Every game you can play in the casino has its own jargon, and as expected, Video poker has its library of common expressions. As you learn the rules and play the game, you will absorb all the terms, including the names of the hands.
Five-card draw – the simplest version of poker, and the video format are very similar to this one.
Face cards – all the cards with faces on them, such as Jacks, Queens, and Kings
House edge – the advantage the house (the online casino) has over players
Wild card – a card that can be used as a substitute for any other card you may need to build a firm hand. A wild card is an option in some versions of video poker.
Hold – Keeping the cards that are dealt
Draw – replacing some of the cards you’ve got
Jacks or Better – one of the most popular versions of the game
Tens or Better – a variation of video poker, similar to Jacks or Better
Hand – five cards the player has
Min bet – the minimum the game allows you to bet on a single hand
Max bet – the maximum the game allows you to bet on a single hand
Winning hand – the strongest hand is awarded a payout, and thus, it is a winning one.
Video Poker FAQ
Is Video Poker a game of skill?
- The majority of games in online casinos are games of chance where you can mostly rely on your luck and not on your skills. However, in the game of Video Poker, skill does play a significant role. You need to know the rules and hands. In addition, you need to develop the skill to figure out which cards to hold and which ones to draw. So, yes, Video Poker requires the skill and deep understanding of the options you have to build a firm hand.
Is video poker better than slots?
- It is all a matter of taste. Every player has their favorite games, some love slots. Others love video poker. It could be said that video poker represents a mixture of poker and slots, so those who like these two games can go for video poker. In addition, in video poker, the skills and knowledge you have do count. In slots, you can’t rely on skill because slots are games based on luck. On the other hand, video poker is fast-paced, easy to learn, and very fun to play. It all comes down to your desires and the style you prefer.
What video poker game has the best odds?
- There are many variations of video poker, and the ones with the best odds are Deuces Wild and Double Bonus Poker. When playing these games, you may even have a slight edge over the house. How amazing is that?
How do you win at video poker every time?
- Winning every time isn’t possible, but you can increase your chances and win more often when playing video poker. You can do that by implementing strategies such as keeping the pairs and getting rid of unpaired cards. Also, make sure you are playing the versions of the games that include the best payouts. It is imperative to explore several types of video poker and then decide which one works for you. Do not enter the gambling world until you learn the rules, hands and gain some experience.
Can you play video poker online for money?
- Yes. You can play video poker online. Many variations of the game are available on gambling sites. Before you start playing for real money, there are several things to consider. First, if you have never played the game before, play it for free. You can try some of the demo versions. It would be best if you learned the basics. Next, make sure you are about to play in a casino that has an excellent reputation. You want to find the site that keeps its customers safe and secure, and finally, if a casino with a generous bonus offer. In most casinos, the bonus can be used for video poker. It will allow you to play the game risk-free.
Is online video poker legal?
- Generally, playing video poker for real money is legal as long as you play it in a reputable and legitimate casino. However, rules for online gambling are not the same for every country in the world. If online gambling is legal in your country, make sure to find a casino that has good ratings and reputation. In addition, the casino should provide safety and security to the players along with a generous bonus offer.