If you were to stop strangers in the street and ask them to name the most well-known casino game, a large proportion of them would say roulette. This classic game has a long history that goes way back to France in the 1700s. Nowadays, there are lots of variants of the game, including French roulette, European roulette, and American roulette, and many online casinos offer these.
If you want to play American roulette online, this article will provide you with everything you need to know about the game, including how to try it out at a casino for free.
List of Best Online Casino American Roulette Sites in 2023
|8,500 WOW Coins + 4.5 SC||Read Review||WOW Vegas||412+||
|125,000 Free Coins||Read Review||Funrize||88+||
|100,000 Free Coins||Read Review||NoLimitCoins||73+||
|88,000 Tao Coins||Read Review||TaoFortune||73+||
|500% + 150 FS||Read Review||DuckyLuck||283+||
|250% + 55 FS||Read Review||Raging Bull||30+||
Silver Oak Casino
|$4000 + 45 FS||Read Review||Silver Oak Casino||212+||
|$7000 + 55 FS||Read Review||Platinum Reels||360+||
Slots of Vegas
|250% / $2500||Read Review||Slots of Vegas||250+||
Planet 7 Casino
|400% / 20 FS||Read Review||Planet 7 Casino||150+||
What is American Roulette and How Does it Work?
You can learn how to master online casino American roulette in a matter of minutes. After looking at the roulette wheel and reading up on the different types of bets you can play, you'll be able to take part really quickly.
The American roulette wheel has 38 different divisions. Firstly, you have numbers 1 to 36, and then you have a zero and a double zero. In other variants (French and European), you'll only have one zero.
To play roulette online for real money, you'll need to make a bet, spin the wheel and see which pocket the ball lands in. If you're online, the game will tell you if you've won and how much. In a real casino, it would be the dealer that told you this.
American roulette has over 20 different bet types to place. We'll detail them below:
American roulette wheel
The American roulette wheel has 38 different pockets that are numbered 1-36 as well as 0 and 00. The numbers 1-36 are colored black or red, and the zero pockets are both green.
- The numbers on an American roulette wheel appear in this order: 0, 2, 14, 35, 23, 4, 16, 33, 21, 6, 18, 31, 19, 8, 12, 29, 25, 10, 27, 00, 1, 13, 36, 24, 3, 15, 34, 22, 5, 17, 32, 20, 7, 11, 30, 2, 9, 28.
- They are equally divided into red and black – so 18 of each color.
- These numbers are red: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 12, 14, 16, 18, 19, 21, 23, 25, 27, 30, 32, 34, 36.
- These numbers are black: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 11, 13, 15, 17, 20, 22, 24, 26, 28, 29, 31, 33, 35.
- The 0 and 00 are green.
Playing American Roulette Online
There are different ways to play American roulette online for free and for real money. We would always recommend playing the game on free play before placing real money bets. You can play on a mobile, tablet, or desktop computer, and you'll have access to all of the same things. There are even live roulette casino games to choose from too. Let's look at the different ways to play the game:
Free American Roulette
If you've never played American roulette before, it's probably a good idea to play a free game or two first. This way, you can get your head around the different types of bets you can make and see the game's features.
Free play benefits those who love the thrill of the game but who don't want to play with real money for whatever reason.
American roulette has a higher house edge than other types of roulette, and so many gamblers choose to play it for free first to see how lucky they are.
Though you can't lose money playing free American roulette, you certainly can't win money either!
Lots of software developers offer their games for free. Here are five of them:
- NetEnt – Netent casinos games is a popular version of American roulette. It has an additional betting field and a statistics button too.
- Microgaming – this is a fast-paced version with low volatility and an RTP of 94.74%. It has a sophisticated and elegant look.
- Betsoft – a smooth-running game that has a bird's-eye view angle.
- RTG – for a simple game with no soundtracks and crowd noise, Real Time Gaming is good. It's plain, simple, and does what you need it to do.
- Playtech – this version is elegant, colorful, and user-friendly. It's a smooth game too.
Real Money American Roulette
Most people playing American roulette online do so using a real-money version of the game. After all, in a real, land-based casino like as at ComicPlay Casino Online, you'd be putting down real-money bets.
When you're an expert at American roulette or have at least got to grips with the basic gameplay and bet types, real money American roulette is where all of the excitement is.
You can choose how much to bet and how many bets to make per spin. Unless you're playing a live dealer version of the game, you also get to spin the wheel yourself so you can be completely ready with all of your bets in the place where you want them.
The games work using a Random Number Generator (RNG), so the results are completely randomized. The result (whether you've won or not and how much) will be displayed on the screen and added to your pot.
Mobile American Roulette
Nowadays, playing online American roulette is possible almost anywhere. Provided that you've got an internet connection, you can play this game all over the world.
Many online casinos now have real money casino app iphone that you can download to play whenever you want. Even those that don't have apps have mobile-optimized websites that have been developed using HTML5 technology. This means that the casino website will adapt itself to your device's screen and will run all of its games on instant play.
American roulette is easy to play whether you've got an Android, iPad, iPhone, or another mobile device.
The benefits of mobile play are plentiful – you can even play on your way to work!
Live American Roulette
For anyone who loves the excitement of a brick-and-mortar casino and a real roulette table, live American roulette is the next best thing.
The popularity of these live games increased during 2020 due to the Covid-19 pandemic when physical casinos were forced to close their doors. These live games were the best equivalent people could find. They're also really good for those who want more interaction and a social aspect to playing online – and you don't even need to leave the comfort of your own home.
Lots of online casinos offer live dealer American roulette games, and these are based upon the spinning of a real roulette wheel in a studio. All of the action is done by a liver dealer and streamed in real time to your device.
The games work by having a betting overlay on top of the video, which has the same betting grid as you would see on any game.
One key benefit of these games is that you have the social element, too, and can interact with the dealer and the other players. Unlike non-live versions, however, you do need to time your bets properly and place them before the live dealer tells you 'no more bets' – just like in a real casino.
What's unique about American roulette odds and payouts?
Unlike other versions of the game, American roulette has an additional pocket with 00 in it. This increases the house edge and lowers the player's odds. Even so, this is a highly popular game and a roulette favorite for many.
The house edge is important in this game. This is 5.26% in the American version, which is high compared to other types. In European, the house edge is 2.7%, and in French, it can be as low as 1.35%.
In some online casinos, there are even wheels with a triple zero pocket, which can cause the house edge to be up to 7.89%.
Here are some of the most popular bet types:
- Straight (a single number) – 2.6% player odds, 35-1 payout
- Split (two numbers) – 5.3% player odds, 17-1 payout
- Column – 31.6% player odds, 2-1 payout
- Red/black – 47.4% player odds, 1-1 payout
The following table explains the different odds available for each type of bet:
|Bet name||Winning spaces||Odds against winning (American)|
|Red or black||Choose the color where the ball will land – either red or black||1:1|
|High or low||Make a prediction about whether the ball will land in a low number (1-18) or a high number (25-36)||2:1|
|Columns||Make a prediction on the ball landing in any one of the betting layout's three columns||2:1|
|Straight up||A straight bet on a single number.||35:1|
|Dozens||Make a prediction on the ball landing in columns 1-12, 13-24, or 25-36||2:1|
|Split||Put your chips down between two numbers to land either number.||17:1|
|Corner||Put your chips down between four numbers (similar to a split bet).||8:1|
Tips and strategies for American roulette
There is no way to escape the fact that the house edge on American roulette is high. This means that the least risky bet types are the outside bets like even/odd bets or red/black bets. Many people choose to play free American roulette games because it means they get to hone their skills without taking big risks.
Trying out different American roulette strategies is a great way of managing your bankroll as well as a great way to practice. Of course, there are no guarantees when it comes to strategies working, but many people swear by the different strategies they use.
The best tip of all is to always play it safe. This means you should only wager money that you can afford to lose. You should always take regular breaks and never chase your losses.
Hot/Cold numbers and roulette systems
Many people use the hot/cold numbers strategy when playing American roulette. In a lot of games, you will see hot and cold numbers to the right of the roulette wheel. Some players like to place their bets on the 'hot' numbers as they consider them to be lucky for the next game because they've appeared a lot. Other people, however, choose to bet on the 'cold' numbers since they haven't appeared much, making them more likely to appear.
In reality, all spins are independent of one another, so no numbers are more likely to appear than others.
Some people talk about guaranteed winning strategies to beat the roulette wheel, but the truth is that the roulette house edge means that the online casino will always have the advantage they need to make a profit. Ultimately, there is no way you can beat the game completely – if there was, casinos wouldn't offer it as a game!
Other Popular Online Roulette Types
Besides American roulette, there are other different types of online roulette. These include European and French.
European roulette has 37 different pockets as opposed to American roulette, which has 38. The pockets are numbered 1 to 36 and 0. The numbers are equally divided into red and black (18 of each), while the 0 is green.
Due to there being no 00 pocket, the house edge of the European version is smaller and rests at about 2.7%. This shows you that it is much more likely that you'll win on a European roulette wheel compared to an American roulette wheel.
French roulette online has the same basic rules as American roulette and European roulette. Simply put, if the ball lands where you predict, you will win. In French roulette, you do have extra rules to grapple with, and you might also need to become familiar with the French translations for the bet types, e.g., pair/impair for even/odd. Another one is 1-18/19-36 is called manqué/passé.
There are two specific rules for French roulette that don't exist in any other versions. These are ‘la partage’ and ‘en prison’.
- La Partage. La partage means 'sharing'. This rule is in play for even bets only. Simply put, when the ball lands on the 0, the dealer will divide all of the even money wagers immediately. One-half of the stake is kept by the house, and the other half is returned to the players. This means the house edge of the French version is 1.35%. In other words, you're more likely to win at this game compared to the other types of roulette available. You can think of 'la partage' as insurance for loss.
- En Prison. En prison means 'in prison', and it is a variation of the 'la partage rule. When the ball lands on the 0 pockets, the dealer places markers next to all of the even money bets, declaring them 'en prison'. This means that players keep their bets in place for another spin. If the bet wins this time, your stake is returned. If the ball were to hit the 0 pocket again, the bet would say 'en prison' for a second time. As such, it is possible to get a refund on your bet even when the ball hasn't landed on an even number.
American roulette is a popular table game at online casinos as well as physical land-based casinos. With all the different betting options, American roulette is a varied game. Though both European and French versions are more favorable as far as the house edge is concerned. However, the American version of the game certainly appeals to lots of people.
It's possible to play American roulette for free or for real money. Free play is a good idea for building up knowledge and strategies. Though there are no winning strategies, as each spin is independent, there are things that work for many people.
All in all, this is a great game that brings lots of fun to all who partake in it.
1️⃣ Is it possible to play free American roulette online?
- Yes, there are many online casinos offering American roulette in the demo version, and the majority of the most popular software developers offer free play for players to try out before spending their own money. The only games you can't access for free are live dealer American roulette games. You must use real money to join in these.
2️⃣ What games can I play in Evoplay Casinos?
- Nearly all good online casinos offer real money American roulette. To play, you'll need to find a site that offers the game, register, and make a deposit. You're then free to play real money games and even live dealer games.
3️⃣ Is there any American roulette strategy I can try?
- Though there are strategies that people use, there are no sure-fire ways to beat the house (otherwise, the casinos would go bankrupt!). Some people swear by betting on 'hot' numbers (the ones that keep coming up), while others swear by 'cold' numbers that haven't landed in a while (with the idea that their time must come soon). The truth is, each spin is independent of one another, so even if it's just landed 23, it has the same chance of landing 23 in the next spin, too – and the one after that!