There is a common misconception that online gambling is entirely illegal in the USA, which is not true. Although many states consider gambling online illegal, a few have their own gambling law and allow their residents to gamble online.
As time goes by, more and more states are having discussions, creating boards and various commissions to regulate and supervise gambling activities.
Online gambling US is a work in progress, and with this article, we will explain everything you need to know about it. You will be able to find out:
- Which US states allow their residents to gamble online;
- Which casino games are popular amongst US players;
- How to make a deposit and request a withdraw;
- What type of real money bonuses can you get at an online casino in the USA?
US Legal Online Gambling
When it comes to online gambling in the United States, both the Federal Government and State governments have always been tasked to create laws and regulate this sphere. Every law that the Federal Government comes up with and puts to use has to be abided by individual state governments.
For many years now, the Federal Government has deemed and prohibited some forms of online gambling for the USA region. There have been instances that state governments have issued their own regulation, which later has been shut down by the Federal Government.
Even though the Federal Government has a higher authority, state governments have always issued their own regulations. This can all function perfectly as long as state governments apply all the Federal Government’s terms and don’t infringe them.
Here are some of the Federal gambling laws that are still active in the USA:
Licensed and Regulate US Casinos
There are three forms of online gambling that need to be approved and made legal, so a state can legalize it completely. Those three categories are:
- Online Casinos,
- Online Poker,
- Online Sports Betting.
Today, only a few states can easily say that they have fully legalized online gambling, and those are New Jersey, Michigan, West Virginia, and Pennsylvania. A couple of other states have legalized two categories, such as Delaware, Nevada and Connecticut.
Currently, another ten or so states are proposing bills and are awaiting approval to make either sports betting, US-based online casinos, or online poker legal. If approved, it would take some work and time to get everything in place.
Now, although many US states don’t allow their residents to gamble online, players can simply head over to offshore online casinos and betting sites and wager their money there. This might seem like an easy solution to all US gamblers; however, there are certain things they need to be aware of.
Many offshore casino sites online that offer access to American players aren’t regulated or even hold a license. If you play on a website that is not reputable or its brand isn’t well-known, you might be at risk of getting scammed. Many US gamblers in the past have made deposits, won, and later didn’t receive their winnings.
As a precaution, we would like to recommend some offshore online gambling platforms and casinos that are legit and reputable for American citizens. Some of them are trusted brands that have been in the gambling industry for years, and some are new USA online casinos that have all the right licenses:
Intertops Casino 3Dice Casino Bovada Casino Grande Vegas Casino Ignition Casino
How We Rate & Review US Online Gambling Sites
Here are the features that every online casino needs to have for us to recommend them:
We are not even looking further if a U.S. casino site doesn’t provide a valid gambling license. The first thing all players should do is make sure the gambling site is legit. With hundreds of thousands of new sites popping up, you never know which one could be a scam.
We always recommend picking sites with a license by a trustworthy regulatory body because it means all of your personal and banking information will stay safe and protected by the operator.
Casino Games Variety
All online casinos accepting US players should have different types of casino games. From classic slot machines and table games like online blackjack for money, roulette, baccarat to specialty games like Keno, Bingo, and others.
We admit to turning a blind eye when it’s a newly opened gambling site because they might be in conversation to partner up with some software providers. On top of everything, quantity also matters since we believe players need to have various choices. You can’t be the best online casino USA if you only have a few games.
Reliable Casino Software
If a certain casino wants to be competitive in the USA online gambling market, it must have the best software providers as partners.
Apart from ensuring that you have an excellent gambling experience, we also want to make sure that you win big if luck is on your side. Jackpots play a significant role in winning loads of money, and for us to showcase an American online gambling site, they should offer their members loads of jackpot games.
Most of the time, jackpots are featured in slot games, but other games can also offer a jackpot.
Because of the day and age, we are in right now, it is correct to say that most online gamblers enter top US online casinos, register, and play using their mobile devices. Most of the casinos today have their official website fully mobile-optimized. On the other hand, more casinos have started developing their own downloadable mobile app, which sometimes which usually is smoother than the desktop version.
US online casinos for real money that offer a no deposit bonus, free spins, and perks that players don’t have to claim with real money deposits get extra points in our books. However, there are also hubs that offer different types of promotions such as cashback or daily rewards that will also enrich your gambling experience.
We always look for welcome bonuses for new players and reload bonuses that give existing customers more chances to win. Moreover, we take into consideration the wagering requirements of each reward. If they are set too high and are too hard to fulfill, we don’t recommend claiming them. Of course, a generous bonus with reasonable no wagering requirements is our favorite option.
Convenient Payment Options
Once we have reviewed the promotions, we look into the payment options that the online casino provides. Since you have to be of legal age to sign up at a gambling site and most definitely have some type of debit or online casinos that accept US credit cards, we ensure every operator we recommend features payments with that method.
Apart from that, every other banking method is a plus. E-wallets and cryptocurrencies are among the most popular options nowadays for depositing and withdrawing real money from USA online casinos. Check out the list of most popular 10 dollar minimum deposit USA online casino sites available.
The main thing each casino must hold is a valid license. However, that isn’t enough to ensure players are safe on it. We also look at up-to-date SSL encryption technology, which will undoubtedly cement the fact that all of your personal information, banking information, and transactions are safe and secure.
There are two aspects of the customer support service that we look at. The first one is if they are professional, polite, and friendly. We go through many reviews from players who have experience with specific customer support services and make sure of the reliability of casino agents.
The second and more important thing is how many ways exist to get in touch with the team. If anything else, an email is the most basic way a casino can offer its members to get a hold of a customer support representative. If there is a live chat on the website, it is a huge plus because players can get the answers to their casino-related questions in an instant.
An excellent little addition to any online gambling site can be a VIP or a Loyalty Program. There are places where members need to either pay to get in the program or be individually invited. However, today, most casino brands will automatically enroll you in the program once you have made a deposit and played some of the casino games.
This is a great way to earn extra promotions, perks, and even prizes. Players typically have to collect points and reach a certain level in order to receive an exclusive reward such as an Account Manager or higher withdrawal limits.
Online Casino Games Popular Among American Gamblers
Since we have shown you the research points we focus on to find the best US online casinos or those that accept American players, here are some types of casino games that you’ll be able to enjoy there.
- Online Slots. The go-to category that players are always eager to play is slot games. They are arguably the easiest casino games to engage with and win, requiring you just to relax and click the spin button. They come in all shapes and sizes and can be made based on various themes. More popular slots that Americans love to play and can find at any US-friendly site are Gonzo’s Quest, Mega Moolah, Thunderstruck II, Book of Dead, and Sweet Bonanza.
- Online Poker. As opposed to slots, poker is one of the hardest online casino games. Apart from luck, poker also requires some knowledge, skills and intuition to predict your opponent’s hand. Poker games come in different types like Texas Hold’em, Caribbean Poker, Seven Card Stud, Omaha, etc.
- Online Blackjack. Another table card game that Americans go wild over is Blackjack. Like poker, this too requires some intuition, but not related to the other players. The real objective of the game is to predict whether you’re going to beat the dealer or not. There are multiple variations of Blackjack, such as American Blackjack, European Blackjack, Progressive Blackjack, Pontoon, and many more.
- Online Roulette. Roulette is a table game with some strategic aspects. Apart from the plan of action that has to do with your wagering amount, play roulette online for real money is quite similar to slot games – players heavily rely on luck. Here are some different types of roulette that US players can play at online live casino sites – European Roulette, American Roulette, Double Ball Roulette, Mini Roulette, etc.
- Online Baccarat. The table game Baccarat is the odd one out of the other casino games on our list, but it is quite popular. Similar to Blackjack, the goal of Baccarat is to get closer to a certain number than the rest of the players on the table. American players will get a chance to play various game variations at safe online casinos for US players such as Punto Banco, Chemin De Fer, EZ Baccarat, and others.
Banking Options For Online Casinos USA Gamblers
At most US online casinos, American players will be provided with 4 different banking methods. Those options are:
- Credit/Debit Cards
- Bank Transfers
- Credit/Debit cards.
Because every member of a casino has to be a certain age to play there, most likely, the players will own a credit or debit card. This is the most practical and most used way online gamblers make transactions with whether we’re talking deposits or withdrawals. Visa and MasterCard are always offered; however, you can also find American Express and Discover Card available at some hubs.
E-wallets are another popular option today because they offer the fastest deposit and withdrawal processing times. This means that players will either be instantly playing their favorite games or enjoy the winnings that they have won. Today, some of the more used e-wallets are PayPal, Neteller, Skrill, Paysafecard, etc.
Bank Transfers are provided at almost every online casino, however, they are often avoided by regular players. The processing time for bank transfer withdrawals is the slowest out of all banking options, and it can take up to 5 business days. Moreover, bank transfers also request a certain fee depending on the amount of money you want to transfer.
The most modern banking option that one online casino can offer its members is cryptocurrency transactions. Not every online casino provides the crypto casino USA methods, but those that do often feature Bitcoin, Ethereum, Dogecoin, and Litecoin as an option.
How to Deposit
Depositing at casinos online is fairly simple. Here are the steps you need to follow:
- Register an account.
- Find the Cashier tab.
- Choose a deposit bonus if any are available (this step is optional).
- Pick the currency and the banking method you want to use.
- Enter the amount you wish to deposit.
- Wait for the funds to be transferred to your account and use them on your preferred games.
Legal online casinos in the USA provide various methods to deposit funds to the casino account. You may use e-wallet payment systems, bank wire transfers, or simply deposit by phone bill casino option.
How to Withdraw Winnings
If you managed to win a certain amount of money, these are the steps you will need to follow to withdraw your reward:
- Make sure to fulfill any wagering requirements attached to the winnings.
- Head over to the Cashier tab.
- Click on the Withdrawal or payout button.
- Choose the banking method you want to use.
- Enter the amount you want to withdraw.
- Wait for the request to be verified and the money to reach your account.
Be aware that some banking methods for deposits won’t be available for a withdrawal. This will mostly happen with e-wallets. On the other hand, payment options like Visa, MasterCard, and all cryptocurrencies will be available for the fastest payout online casinos methods.
Regarding processing time, you should either go for e-wallets or cryptocurrencies because they are the fastest, getting your winnings to your account in less than 2 business days. Never go for a bank transfer because some additional fees can be attached, and it can take up to 5 business days.
Real Money Bonuses At US Casinos
Every online casino USA real money offers various types of promotions for new and regular members. Some are rarer than others, but all of them are helpful and can increase players’ bankrolls. Here are some of the perks, bonuses, and promotions that players will eventually come across at online casinos USA:
- No deposit bonuses – Only in the best online casino real money USA no deposit bonus is offered. These promos don’t require players to deposit funds and sometimes have no wagering requirements attached to them.
- Free Spins – These can be a part of a bonus package or as a separate casino reward. The spins can be available on all slots, but they’re most often attached to new editions or to games by a particular software provider.
- Welcome Bonus – A perk that is given to all new members that register an account.
- Reload Bonus – A bonus offered to players who have previously deposited on the site.
- Cashback bonus – A bonus that gives back a certain percentage of the loss that the player has experienced.
- Birthday Bonus – A bonus given to players on their birthday that can be claimed by notifying customer support.
- Loyalty bonus – a VIP or Loyalty program that players are automatically enrolled in and through which they can receive exclusive perks.
Is online gambling legal in the USA?
- Technically, yes. Some Federal laws prohibit Americans from gambling online. However, specific states have their own regulations that allow their residents to gamble at online casinos, play online poker and bet on sports.
What US Deposit method should I use?
- If you are looking to get right into some casino games, the fastest and safest way to make a deposit is by using an e-wallet or a cryptocurrency. On top of that, you may even find casinos online that offer special promotions if you make your first deposit using a specific method.
Do I have to download casino software?
- If you want to try out the casino’s dedicated app, then yes. Otherwise, most casinos today won’t require you to download any specific software.
Are there safe US mobile casinos?
- Of course, there are! Most US online casinos have their websites fully mobile-optimized, and they provide all the necessary features for safe gambling.
What is the gambling age in the US?
- It can vary from state to state, but the general legal gambling age in the US is between 18 and 21.